February 24, 2022
Rice Balls with Roasted Tomatoes Soup
The African continent has its own species of rice that has been cultivated over the past 3,500 year. Oryza Glaberrima, is the native African rice, and its ancestor was the Oryza Barthii. Oryza is the genus of plants in the grass family that includes rice crops. There are several Oryza in the world, however, only two have been domesticated. The Oryza Sativa, which is the native Asian rice from China, and the African native one, Glaberrima.
- 1 and 1/2 cup of Oryza Glaberima; 3 and 1/2 cups of water; 300g of grape tomatoes; 4 gloves of garlic; 1 and 1/2 tbsp of olive oil; 1 medium; 1/3 cup of chopped onion; 1 red bell pepper; 1 tbsp of minced ginger; 1 tbsp of dried oregano; 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary; 1/2 of paprika; 1/2 tsp of salt (optional); 2 cups
- Remove husk and soak rice in water for 6 hours (of overnight)
- Wash rice under cold water to remove any dust when ready to use
- Bring the rice, salt (optional) and 3 and 1/2 cups of water to boil in a large pot. Turn the heat and allow to cook for 35 minutes or until rice is very soft and has absorbed all the water
- With a wooden spatula, mash the rice until it sticks together. Using a large soup spoon, scoop rice and shape into a ball of your desired serving size.
Roasted Tomatoes Soup:
- Heat over to 400 degrees F. Place tomatoes, onion, garlic an red bell pepper on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Toss and roast for 25 minutes or until soft and charred.
- Once the roasting is done, place the tomatoes, garlic, onion and red bell pepper in a blender and blend with 1/3 cup f vegetable broth and fresh rosemary until smooth.
- In a medium pot, heat 1 and 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Add chopped onions and minced ginger and cook until caramelized.
- Stir in dried oregano and paprika; pour in the blended tomatoes and season with salt (optional). Cover and bring to a boil.